News in Brief 9 June 2023
- Ukraine flooding devastation: huge immediate needs; long-term impacts loom
- Sudan: UN rights office deplores killing of civilians, sexual violence
- Arrests and hate speech target Baha’i minority in Yemen
PODCAST: Youth leaders fighting for a better world
The UN Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are an inspiring group of young people from across the world, achieving great things in areas as diverse as gender equality, climate action, and health equity.
Ukraine dam disaster: flooding poses ‘grave risk’ to families impacted: UNICEF
The flooding stemming from the Ukraine dam disaster near Kherson poses a grave risk to families, and threatens safe water and power supplies, said the UN Children’s Fund’s (UNICEF) communications chief in the country.
The challenge of regulating lethal autonomous weapons
With new and emerging technologies, we hear a lot about killer drones, driverless tanks and autonomous airplanes on the modern battlefield.
World Oceans Day: The ocean is our ally in fighting hunger
The ocean is key to food security as the main source of protein for more than a billion people. Some 600 million worldwide depend on fisheries and aquaculture for their livelihoods.
News in Brief 8 June 2023
- Ukraine: increasing food security threats from Kakhovka dam disaster
- Bangladesh must suspend plans to return Rohingya refugees to Myanmar: top rights expert
- Haiti: Gang violence displaced 165,000 people: IOM
News in Brief 7 June 2023
- Ukraine: Lack of clean water, spread of disease major risks in Kakhovka dam disaster: IOM
- Sudan: Close to two million displaced people
- Ocean crucial to food security: FAO
Kakhovka dam disaster: Humanitarians rush to assist victims
UN humanitarians are ramping up assistance in the aftermath of the Kakhovka dam disaster in Ukraine, as some 17,000 people find themselves in the critical zone at risk of flooding, and clean water has become scarce.
News in Brief 6 June 2023
- Ukraine: destruction of Nova Kakhovka dam sparks nuclear safety, humanitarian concerns
- Over 400,000 deaths a year due to unsafe food: WHO, FAO
- Safety belts: 50 years of saving lives