Egypt: Ban voices alarm after fresh round of deadly clashes in Cairo
In a statement issued by his spokesperson, Mr. Ban said he was very concerned by the resurgence of violence in Cairo. Since Friday demonstrators have again taken to the streets in protests against the military government that assumed power earlier this year after the toppling of the long-standing regime of Hosni Mubarak.
"The Secretary-General is highly alarmed by the excessive use of force employed by the security forces against protesters and calls for the transitional authorities to act with restraint and uphold human rights, including the right to peaceful protest," the statement said.
"The Secretary-General underlines the importance of an atmosphere of calm to support Egypt''s electoral process as part of its transition to democracy and the early establishment of civilian rule."
Egypt is in the midst of a multi-step process of parliamentary elections, the first such elections since Mr. Mubarak''s government fell.