More Rwandan soldiers preparing to withdraw from DR of Congo - UN mission

19 September 2002

Soldiers from Rwanda are preparing to continue their withdrawal from the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the United Nations peacekeeping mission in the country announced today.

MONUC, as the Mission is known, said Rwandan military officials indicated by letter that they intended to pull out of Kabalo, Kongolo, Nyunzu and Kalemie in the North Katanga region of the DRC.

Withdrawal orders were sent to operational commanders on the ground, the Mission said, and the operation is scheduled to start Saturday.

So far, 1,380 soldiers have pulled out of Kindu/Kalima and have arrived in Kigali.

 

♦ Receive daily updates directly in your inbox - Subscribe here to a topic.
♦ Download the UN News app for your iOS or Android devices.