Angola: Annan calls for ceasefire, restart of peace talks in post-Savimbi era

Angola: Annan calls for ceasefire, restart of peace talks in post-Savimbi era

Reacting to the death of rebel leader Jonas Malheiro Savimbi, United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has called on the parties in Angola to agree to an immediate ceasefire and to restart peace talks based on the so-called Lusaka Protocol.

"All concerned should do their utmost to use the new and changed circumstances to advance the cause of peace and reconciliation in Angola," particularly the members of the National Union for Total Independence of Angola (UNITA), said a statement issued late Monday evening by the Secretary-General's spokesman.

"The Secretary-General and the UN system will continue their efforts in support of a peaceful resolution and a political settlement of the conflict that has brought so much suffering to the people of Angola," said the statement, which was issued after Mr. Annan had been formally notified of the death of the President of UNITA.

Meanwhile, the Secretary-General’s Special Adviser on Africa, Ibrahim Gambari, was expected to brief the Security Council today on recent developments. According to a UN spokesman, Mr. Gambari was also planning to travel to Washington D.C. for a possible meeting with Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos.