United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Director-General Irina Bokova of the UN Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) appointed 12 new members to the governing UN University (UNU) Council.
The new appointees, who will take office as of 3 May, replace the retiring 2010-2016 cohort of UNU Council members and will serve for terms of either three or six years.
The main functions of the Council are to formulate the principles and policies of the UNU, govern its operations, and consider and approve its biennial budget and work programme.
Appointed members of the UNU Council serve in their individual capacity – not as representatives of their country’s Government – and are selected with the aim of achieving a geographic and gender balance, with due regard for major academic, scientific, educational and cultural trends, as well as each member’s fields of expertise.
The new members of the UNU Council are:
- Ernest Aryeetey (Ghana), Vice-Chancellor, University of Ghana
- Carlos Henrique de Brito Cruz (Brazil), Scientific Director, São Paulo Research Foundation, and Professor, Gleb Wataghin Physics Institute, State University of Campinas
- Simon Chesterman (Australia), Dean, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
- Elizabeth Cousens (USA), Deputy Chief Executive Officer, United Nations Foundation
- Isabel Guerrero Pulgar (Chile), Director, IMAGO Global Grassroots, and lecturer at Harvard and MIT
- Angela Kane (Germany), Senior Fellow, Vienna Centre for Non-Proliferation and Disarmament, and Professor, SciencesPo, Paris
- Segenet Kelemu (Ethiopia), Director General and CEO, International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology
- Bassma Kodmani (Syria), Executive Director, Arab Reform Initiative
- Radha Kumar (India), Director General, Delhi Policy Group
- Irena Lipowicz (Poland), Professor, Cardinal Stefan Wyszyñski University (Warsaw)
- Tsuneo Nishida (Japan), Director, Institute for Peace Science, Hiroshima University, and Director, Toho Zinc Co., Ltd.
- Lan Xue (China), Dean, School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University, and Director, China Institute for S&T Policy