Kosovo: UN envoy condemns latest round of bomb attacks on parked cars

18 September 2006

A senior United Nations official in Kosovo has denounced two bomb attacks over the weekend that damaged vehicles parked in towns in the province’s southeast, a day after an earlier blast struck the car of the Minister of Internal Affairs.

Steven Schook, the Secretary-General’s Principal Deputy Special Representative, issued a statement today in the provincial capital, Pristina, following the attacks in Gjilan/Gnjilane and Ferizaj/Uroševac on Friday and Saturday nights.

He said the two explosions were the apparent result of bombs placed under parked vehicles. While the vehicles were badly damaged, and several nearby vehicles were also damaged, no one was injured.

Mr. Schook said “this kind of violence goes against what the people of Kosovo want and are working toward at this important time in the status process. Violence has no place in a Kosovo committed to democracy and the rule of law.”

Earlier on Friday, an explosive attack damaged the private car of Kosovo’s Minister of Internal Affairs, Fatmir Rexhepi, while it was parked outside his apartment in Gjilan/Gnjilane.

 

♦ Receive daily updates directly in your inbox - Subscribe here to a topic.
♦ Download the UN News app for your iOS or Android devices.