DR of Congo: UN hails release of country's top human rights official

3 September 2002

The head of the United Nations Organization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC) has hailed the release of the country's top human rights official while cautioning that the lack of security in the region where the abduction took place remains a source of concern that must be addressed.

Yesterday, Amos Namanga Ngongi welcomed the release on Sunday of the Minister for Human Rights, Ntumba Luaba, who had been taken hostage last Thursday in the northeastern town of Bunia.

Mr. Ngongi, who condemned the abduction as an "unacceptable act," also said in a statement that the incident raised once more the problem of increasing insecurity in Bunia and the surrounding area.

Meanwhile, the UN mission reported that on Saturday in Kisangani, 54 future civilian police instructors completed their training course, which aims to enable them to function as executive trainers in various national police training centres.

Authorities of the Congolese Rally for Democracy (RCD), which controls Kisangani, have expressed their satisfaction after the training session, MONUC said. They also considered it proof of their good will to move forward towards the demilitarization of the city.

A second class of 54 students is to begin next week.

 

♦ Receive daily updates directly in your inbox - Subscribe here to a topic.
♦ Download the UN News app for your iOS or Android devices.