Hudaydah

UN Security Council offers Yemen Special Envoy ‘their full support’

Security Council members issued a statement on Monday offering “their full support” to the UN Special Envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, after he had reportedly come in for criticism by the Government.

World Food Programme accesses Yemeni frontline district for first time since conflict began

Amid the world’s largest humanitarian crisis still unfolding in Yemen, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) has gained access to the rebel-held northern district of Nihm, for the first time since the war between Houthis and the Saudi-backed Government coalition escalated in 2015.

Yemen update: UNICEF chief condemns attack in Taiz that claims lives of seven children

Nowhere is safe in Yemen, the head of the UN Children’s Fund UNICEF said, after an attack in the city of Taiz claimed the lives of 12 civilians, including seven youngsters – the latest victims of the country’s more than four-year war. 

Deadly Yemen airstrikes that claim children’s lives in capital Sana’a, strongly condemned by UN

Thursday’s airstrikes on Yemen’s capital Sana’a that reportedly killed five children and injured dozens more, have been strongly condemned by UN agencies, which have warned of the “brutal toll” on civilians of more than four years of conflict.

UN monitoring team in Yemen verifies pullout of armed forces from crucial port zones

The UN team set up to monitor the ceasefire agreement between warring parties in Yemen has formally verified the pullout of armed Ansar Allah, or Houthi forces, from port zones in the country that are crucial to the flow of humanitarian aid, describing cooperation they have received so far as “very good.”

As Houthi forces withdraw from key Yemeni ports, UN monitoring chief welcomes 'first practical step on the ground'

As Yemenis continue to finalize redeployment procedures in line with the UN-brokered Hudaydah Agreement, under which Government coalition and rebel leaders are to pull forces out of the key port city of Hudaydah, the Chair of the Redeployment Coordination Committee on Friday welcomed an offer by the Houthi opposition to begin a unilateral withdrawal.

Food for millions in Yemen at risk of rotting in key Red Sea port, warns UN

Desperately needed food aid for millions of Yemenis “is at risk of rotting” in a key Red Sea storage facility because conditions are too unsafe to reach it, UN Special Envoy Martin Griffiths and UN Emergency relief chief Mark Lowcock said on Monday

Million across Yemen ‘just a step away from famine’, with food available but inaccessible

While nearly 10 million people across Yemen remain “just a step away from famine”, the United Nations Emergency Relief Coordinator has spoken of his deep concern that a large food storage depot on the outskirts of the crucial port city of Hudaydah, has been out of bounds since last September.

Confidence-building measures continue in new Yemen prisoner-swap talks

Yemen’s warring sides are due to meet for fresh discussions on a prisoner exchange agreement, the UN’s Special Envoy for the war-torn country announced on Monday.

News in Brief 15 January 2019

  • International Criminal Court acquits Laurent Gbagbo of Côte d’Ivoire allegations
  • Aid reaches war-hit Hudaydah communities for first time in months – WFP
  • ‘Life and death’ conditions in Syria’s desert camp, warns WFP
Audio -
3'32"