Following Friday’s bomb attacks and gunfire in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, UN Chief António Guterres on Friday expressed his faith that Somalis “will not be deterred” in their pursuit of lasting peace and political stability.
In a statement attributable to his Deputy Spokesman Farhan Haq, the Secretary General reiterated “the support and solidarity of the United Nations with the people and Federal Government of Somalia in this endeavor.”
The Secretary General “sends his profound condolences to the families of the victims and wishes a speedy recovery to those injured,” said the statement.
The UN Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) reported that car bombs went off near the capital’s Sahafi Hotel on Friday afternoon. The initial explosions were followed by gunfire, all believed to be orchestrated by the jihadist terrorist group, Al-Shabab.
In its years-long fight against the UN and internationally-backed Government, the extremist group has been targeting places where officials and security forces are likely to frequent, such as the Sahafi Hotel. So far, authorities have reported that at least 20 people have been killed, and 17 wounded.
In a Friday statement denouncing the attack, UN Deputy Special Representative for Somalia, Raisedon Zenenga, said the agency has faith the terror attacks will not taint Somalia’s progress on the road to full economic and security reform.
“We join the people and the Federal Government of Somalia in condemning this act of terror in no uncertain terms - such reprehensible acts of terrorism will not in any way undermine the determination of the Somali people to pursue their state-building, economic recovery and security priorities,” he said.
“The United Nations and the wider international community stand with them.”
UNSOM expresses its condolences to the families of the victims of the attack and wishes a speedy recovery for the injured.