UN rights office urges Libyan authorities to investigate death of 12 victims of torture

14 June 2016

The UN human rights office today urged the Libyan authorities to undertake an effective, thorough and impartial investigation to bring perpetrators of torture to justice, after 12 people were found dead last Friday.

“A complete disregard for human life and breakdown in the rule of law continue to prevail in many parts of Libya,” said a statement issued by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).

The twelve people killed were affiliated with the former Qaddafi regime, and had supposedly been released the previous day from Al-Baraka prison in Tripoli, in compliance with a court order.

According to family members who identified some of the bodies, the victims had apparently been severely tortured and beaten, and had been shot several times. Some also had burn marks and were found with their hands and feet tied.

“Torture and attacks against civilians are crimes under international law,” OHCHR stressed, urging Libyan authorities to investigate promptly.

 

♦ Receive daily updates directly in your inbox - Subscribe here to a topic.
♦ Download the UN News app for your iOS or Android devices.

News Tracker: Past Stories on This Issue

Justice and accountability ‘critical components’ for lasting peace in Libya – ICC Prosecutor

Justice, accountability and the deterrent effects of the law remain “critical components” for achieving lasting peace in Libya, the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) told the United Nations Security Council today, encouraging the country’s Government to give priority to devising effective plans and strategies to address atrocity crimes, and to invest in the relevant national institutions responsible for such work.