Ban strongly condemns violent demonstrations in northern Mali

20 April 2016

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has strongly condemned the violent demonstrations that took place on Monday 18 April, in Kidal, in the north of Mali, which, according to preliminary information, left two protesters dead and several others injured.

Regretting the loss of life and injury, the Secretary-General, in a statement issued by his spokesperson, also regretted the “unacceptable” damage to the Kidal airfield, a crucial asset for the delivery of services and support to the people in the region, including by the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA).

Mr. Ban expressed his sincere condolences to the families of those who have died, and wished a prompt recovery to the injured. Further, the statement expressed the UN chief's commitment to establishing the facts surrounding the loss of life and injury.

“The Secretary-General urgently calls on all concerned and local leaders, including the leaders of the Coordination des mouvements de L'Azawad to cooperate in defusing tensions and exercising restraint so as to allow for a prompt investigation into the events,” the statement continued, and underscored that a return to calm and order in the area would facilitate a resumption of the functioning of the airfield in Kidal and promote common efforts in support of the peace agreement.

Finally, Mr. Ban reiterated the United Nations' commitment to supporting the stabilization of Mali and implementation of the peace agreement.


♦ Receive daily updates directly in your inbox - Subscribe here to a topic.
♦ Download the UN News app for your iOS or Android devices.

News Tracker: Past Stories on This Issue

Mali: UN mission renews call for calm after two demonstrators killed in Kidal

The United Nations mission in Mali renewed its call for calm as well as its commitment to the implementation of the peace process following a demonstration yesterday morning in the Kidal region in the north of the country, in which two demonstrators were killed and four others were wounded.