UN sexual misconduct investigation in DR Congo finds violations and cases of abuse

4 April 2016

Findings of a United Nations Response Team tasked with investigating sexual abuse allegations committed by UN peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) indicate sex with minors along with paternity claims.

“Initial results suggest that there is evidence of transactional sex and sex with minors. There are also a number of paternity claims,” said the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) in a press release on Friday.

Additionally, the Mission noted that the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) and its partners were providing medical and psycho-social support to the victims.

Having received allegations on 23 March of sexual exploitation and abuse by members of the Tanzanian contingent of the Mission's Force Intervention Brigade in Mavivi village, near Beni in the Eastern DRC, MONUSCO immediately dispatched a Response Team – led by the Conduct and Discipline Unit – to ascertain the facts.

This information was communicated to the Tanzanian authorities through the Permanent Mission in New York and to the DRC authorities on the ground.

In line with the Secretary General's zero tolerance policy and UN Security Council Resolution 2272 (2016), MONUSCO announced, “these allegations are being immediately and thoroughly investigated and if substantiated, prompt action will be taken,” adding that the alleged perpetrators had been ordered to remain in their camp during the investigation.

Further updated information will follow as it becomes available.

 

♦ Receive daily updates directly in your inbox - Subscribe here to a topic.
♦ Download the UN News app for your iOS or Android devices.

News Tracker: Past Stories on This Issue

UN peacekeeping chief condemns sexual exploitation; says victims' needs are 'top priority'

The top United Nations peacekeeping official has underscored that the protection of and assistance to victims of sexual exploitation and abuse in the Central African Republic remains the Organization's top priority.