Ban, Security Council condemn terrorist attacks in Egypt's Sinai peninsula

30 January 2015

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations Security Council today condemned the terrorist attacks on towns in the northern part of Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, which killed and injured dozens of Egyptian soldiers and civilians.

“The Secretary-General condemns the terrorist attacks in North Sinai on 29 January, which killed dozens of people, including civilians, and injured scores of others,” said a statement issued through his spokesperson.

“He conveys his condolences to the families of the victims and expresses his solidarity with the people of Egypt,” the statement added.

According to media reports, four separate attacks on security outposts took place in North Sinai beginning Thursday evening and into the early morning hours on Friday. News agencies suggest that at least 30 people were killed.

This is the second deadly attack to hit the area within the past few months. Mr. Ban and the members of the Security Council previously condemned the 24 October 2014 terrorist attacks against military checkpoints in Sheikh Zuweid and al-Arish in North Sinai, killing at least 31 members of the Egyptian security forces and injuring dozens more.

Strongly condemning today's terrorist attacks, the members of the Security Council reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security, and that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable regardless of their motivation, wherever and whenever and by whomsoever committed.

The Council, in a statement to the press, underlined the need to bring perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of this terrorist attack to justice, and urged all States, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with the Egyptian Government in this regard.

 

♦ Receive daily updates directly in your inbox - Subscribe here to a topic.
♦ Download the UN News app for your iOS or Android devices.

News Tracker: Past Stories on This Issue

As police, protesters clash in Egypt, UN rights chief urges end to excessive use of force

“Deeply disturbed” by the deaths resulting from recent clashes between security forces and protesters in Egypt, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, has urged for an end to the excessive use of force, his spokesperson said today.