Death toll in Peru earthquake reaches 97, UN relief office says

26 June 2001

The death toll from the earthquake that shook southern Peru over the weekend has reached 97 today, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

Quoting the latest figures from the Government of Peru, OCHA said more than 46,000 people had been affected and over 9,000 houses or buildings had been destroyed or seriously damaged after Saturday's earthquake.

In addition to the $30,000 pledged by OCHA yesterday for emergency assistance, the Government of Norway and the Inter American Development Bank have pledged $20 million each.

Yesterday Secretary-General Kofi Annan said he was "deeply saddened" by the loss of life and destruction caused by the earthquake, and extended his condolences to the Peruvian Government and the families of the victims. A spokesman for Mr. Annan said in a statement that the Secretary-General was "gratified by the solidarity being shown by the international community in the response to this tragic event," and reiterated the UN's commitment to assist in the relief and rehabilitation efforts.

 

♦ Receive daily updates directly in your inbox - Subscribe here to a topic.
♦ Download the UN News app for your iOS or Android devices.