Middle East

Israeli team meets UN officials to discuss plans to view Middle East video

A high-level military delegation from Israel today met with senior United Nations officials to discuss issues surrounding the videotape made last October by UN peacekeepers in Lebanon, shortly after three Israeli soldiers had been abducted by the Hizbollah.

Annan regrets errors of judgment in UN's handling of Middle East videotape

Making public the findings of an internal probe into the handling of a videotape filmed by United Nations peacekeepers in Lebanon in the wake of the abduction of three Israeli soldiers by the Hizbollah, Secretary-General Kofi Annan today expressed regret over "serious errors of judgement" by UN officials and pledged to take steps to preclude breakdowns in communications within the UN chain of command.

Report on Lebanon videotape to go to Security Council on Friday

The United Nations Secretary-General, Kofi Annan, has completed his review of a report concerning the UN's handling of a videotape that may relate to last year's kidnapping of three Israeli soldiers by Hizbollah, his spokesman said today.

Iraq: Annan approves distribution plan for current phase of oil-for-food programme

Secretary-General Kofi Annan has approved the distribution plan for the current phase of the United Nations' "oil-for-food" programme, which allows the Government of Iraq to use a portion of its petroleum sales to purchase humanitarian supplies.

Security Council extends UN Interim Force in Lebanon through January 2002

The Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) through the end of January, 2002, while calling for a continued reconfiguration of the Force in response to prevailing conditions.

Top UN rights official 'deeply dismayed' over Israeli attack in Nablus

The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Mary Robinson, today expressed "deep dismay" over the escalating violence in the occupied territories following an Israeli attack in the town of Nablus which left at least eight people dead, including two children.

Probe completed into handling of videotape by UN force in Lebanon

A senior United Nations official has completed his investigation into the handling of a controversial videotape that may relate to last year's kidnapping of three Israeli soldiers by Hizbollah, a UN spokesman announced today.

Middle East: Annan deplores latest attacks, urges parties to resume talks

Decrying the most recent clashes in the Middle East, Secretary-General Kofi Annan has called on the parties to control their actions and return to the negotiating table, a spokesperson for the UN leader said today.

Iraq: Baghdad submits new distribution plan for 'oil-for-food' programme

The Government of Iraq has submitted a new plan for distributing humanitarian supplies purchased under the "oil-for-food" programme, which allows Baghdad to use a portion of its petroleum revenues to fund the relief effort.

Iraq: UN transfers $75 million excess administrative funds to relief account

The United Nations has transferred $75 million in Iraqi oil revenues that had been set aside for administrative costs to an account designated for the purchase of humanitarian relief, according to documents made public today at UN Headquarters in New York.