Attacks on Yemen’s water facilities, infrastructure, breach ‘basic laws of war’, says UNICEF
Ongoing violence and attacks on civilian infrastructure in Hudaydah directly threaten hundreds of thousands of children and their families in Yemen, according to the head of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in a statement released on Wednesday.
“Attacks against civilian facilities and services are unacceptable, inhumane and in breach of the basic laws of war,” said UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta Fore.
She said there had been an escalation in the targeting of facilities which “are essential to sustaining the lives of children and families.”
It was reported at the weekend that a UNICEF-supported warehouse containing humanitarian provisions, including hygiene and water-related supplies, was hit by two air strikes.
On Saturday, a UNICEF-supported sanitation centre in the Zabid District came under attack, damaging the facility’s fuel tank. A day earlier, the al-Mina District water station was hit, which is the main source of water for the key port city.
FAO seeks urgent humanitarian response to “severely underfunded” crises
$120 million is urgently needed to reach 3.6 million people who are suffering from the most severely underfunded humanitarian crises.
That’s the urgent call from the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in its latest report on underfunded appeals.
The report warned of further deterioration of food security caused by climate change and conflicts.
It highlights drought-hit Afghanistan, Sudan and Syria, as well as monsoon floods in Bangladesh and dire conditions facing civilians across the war-torn Central African Republic.
FAO said it had received less than one third of the $1 billion requested in early 2018 to meet the urgent needs of 33 million people worldwide.
Rosanne Marchesich, head of the Emergency Response and Resilience team at FAO, stressed that the agency requires $120 million immediately to meet the needs of 3.6 million people to ensure “no one is left behind”.
“Our focus is on production, either through crops, vegetables, improving livestock, and, of course, natural resource management for sustainability of production.”
Bodies of three Russian journalists killed in Central African Republic recovered by UN Mission
The bodies of three Russian journalists killed in the Central African Republic (CAR) have been recovered by the UN Mission in the country, MINUSCA, and UN Police are now working with government investigators.
Local sources informed MINUSCA staff nearby where the bodies were located in a remote central area of the conflict-afflicted country, where armed groups have proliferated, plunging the country into a humanitarian crisis.
According to news reports, the three journalists who work for the IMC media outlet, flew into the country on Friday, to investigate a Russian private military company.
MINUSCA recovered the bodies, and took them to a local hospital on Monday. Spokesperson for the Mission, Vladimir Monteiro, provided more details to UN News in a phone interview on Tuesday.
“The government took the bodies and transferred them to Bangui where they are at the hospital. This morning we despatched someone from the UN Police to work with the national internal security forces, to complete the investigation.”