UN emergency fund hits record high, but some crises missing out

12 December 2017

International pledges to the Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) stand at a “likely” record high, but due to “overwhelming” demand, some crises have seen their funding cut.

That’s according to Chief of CERF, Lisa Doughten, who said after last Friday’s annual pledging conference for 2018 at UN Headquarters that a total of $383 million had been registered for next year.

With funding this year likely to be the highest since CERF’s inception in 2006, she said next year’s total was especially important since global needs have “skyrocketed”.

A total of $22.5 billion is required overall to support 92 million people in need across the world.

Following Friday’s pledging conference, Ms Doughten told Maoqi Li that donors across the world deserved a “big thank you” for their “strong support and confidence in the fund”.

Duration: 3’29”

Audio Duration:
3'29"

 

♦ Receive daily updates directly in your inbox - Subscribe here to a topic.
♦ Download the UN News app for your iOS or Android devices.