Attacks in Abyei by unknown armed groups condemned by UN
The recent attacks by unknown armed assailants in the disputed Abyei Area have been condemned by the UN Mission in Abyei, UNISFA.
The Mission was established in 2011 to quell the violence in the oil-rich region of Abyei which is claimed by both Sudan and South Sudan.
Intercommunal tensions and conflict that year forced 100,000 people to flee their homes.
UN Spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric, has more.
“Abyei has no police service system in place and there is no functioning joint local administrative structure. The absence of these systems has resulted in the increase of criminal cases. In light of the recent incidents, the UN Mission has stepped up its security measures, particularly in and around the Amiet common market.”
UNISFA vowed to investigate the attacks swiftly together with the Joint Peace Committee, the traditional leaders as well as the Sudan and South Sudan governments.
Situation in CAR remains tense following attacks by armed groups
The situation in the Central African Republic or CAR remains tense following attacks by armed groups in Zémio, a town in the south east part of the country, the UN Mission there has warned.
A child was killed when anti-Balaka combatants attacked Fulani civilians at a local hospital on Wednesday.
Peacekeepers are securing the area to protect civilians and prevent further attacks.
Clashes between the mainly Muslim Séléka rebel coalition and anti-Balaka militia, which are mostly Christian, plunged the country of 4.5 million people into civil conflict in 2013.
CAR has remained in the grip of instability and sporadic unrest and fresh violence surfaced earlier this year.
Meanwhile, “the revolution and justice” armed group has been told by the UN Mission to vacate Bang, in north-west CAR, following the group’s attack on the village on Monday.
The attack resulted in the displacement of civilians, who fled towards a UN temporary operating base in the area.
A patrol has been deployed to the site to deter further attacks.
38 “potential” mass graves found in Kasai, bringing total to 80: UN
A team of UN human rights and police officials have discovered an additional “38 potential mass graves in four different sites” in the Kasai province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo or DRC.
The announcement was made by the UN Mission in the DRC or MONUSCO, on Wednesday.
This new discovery brings the total of alleged mass graves identified by the UN’s joint human rights office to 80 in total.
The Human Rights office and the UN Mission said they were willing to support the DRC authorities to shed light on the crimes committed in the Kasais and the fight against impunity.
Jocelyne Sambira, United Nations.