UN remains “fully committed” to Libya, says Mission deputy

29 June 2017

A grenade attack on a United Nations convoy in Libya will not shake the organisation’s commitment to the country, a senior UN official there said on Thursday.

Maria do Valle Ribeiro, Deputy Head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), confirmed that 14 people had been travelling from Surmon to Tripoli when a rocket-propelled grenade hit their armoured vehicle on Wednesday.

Seven had been detained briefly but all were now safe, although the driver suffered shrapnel wounds, as Ms Ribeiro explained to Daniel Johnson.

Duration: 4’20”

 

♦ Receive daily updates directly in your inbox - Subscribe here to a topic.
♦ Download the UN News app for your iOS or Android devices.